What's new
Free Chat Forum / Message Board

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please consider using your 321Chat chat room username, especially to gain VIP here.

Important! You will need to validate your email address to register and recover your password if you've forgotten it. Staff cannot assit with password recovery in any way. Please allow a short time for your email to arrive if it doesn't arrive immediately. Check spam folder.

Friendly reminder calling someone stupid or dumb is phobic asf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloppyfart

One word in particular that I have encountered some resistance around is the word “stupid”. Numerous people either don’t understand why this word is ableist or think that the value of the word supersedes the harm it causes to disabled communities.

This resistance is oddly pervasive. People who wouldn’t use the word “dumb” because it is offensive to Deaf people and people who cannot speak, or the r-word because it is offensive to people with developmental disabilities, are still willing to describe something or someone as “stupid”.

In my view, the fact that this word is a slur is self-evident. People don’t call you “stupid” unless they’re trying to put you down or undermine you. It’s an insult, and that’s reason enough to stop using it.
However, most people see the term as a legitimate expression conveying unintelligence, ignorance, foolishness, and so on. Even though other words are available, people feel that they need this one. I think it encapsulates the anger, frustration, and exasperation that they feel toward people who are behaving harmfully.

Many of us are feeling these things toward the illogical, destructive, and cruel people who endanger our safety and security. Calling those people ‘stupid’ may be cathartic, but it doesn’t communicate as much about the problem as the other words that are available. Compared to words like “bigoted”, “belligerent”, or “thoughtless”, its only strength is that it’s demeaning.

So it’s an insult. But what makes the term ableist?

First of all, it’s used to insult people with cognitive impairments, autism, Down’s syndrome, ADD, and other developmental disabilities. That’s a good enough reason right there. Its use harms and triggers disabled people, which makes it a source of mass psychological harm for an already marginalized group.

If something is likely to upset the members of a marginalized group, just let it go. If community members and activists ask you not to use a word for this reason, just don’t use it. Listen to those people and don’t make excuses. Ignoring those requests is also ableist.

Secondly, “stupid” is ableist because it creates and enforces systemic and institutional bias. The history of disability in our society is rife with injustices based on intelligence. During the 20th century, the United States government sterilized approximately 70,000 people, starting with women who were deemed to be “imbeciles”. That’s just one example.
Here’s another: children with intellectual disabilities are at extremely high risk for abuse, including sexual assault. Women with intellectual disabilities are also at high risk for abuse, sexual assault, and domestic violence – and are underserved by inaccessible support programs.

Our culture promotes a climate of toxicity toward intellectually disabled people, and part of that is in the words we use. By condoning the casual use of ableist slurs, we tacitly permit more severe abuses. Because we undermine the people, we also undermine accountability for their abusers. We fail to construct a healing path forward.

The frustration that we feel over bigotry can be expressed in so many ways. We don’t need to rely on ableist slurs. Alternative phrases are more descriptive, and more accurate; unintelligence is not the prevailing problem with right wing extremists, for instance, nor is it the cause of their actions.

TlDR: Challenge yourself to criticize your opponents without demeaning their intelligence. Even if their actions are ridiculous, offensive, senseless, or malevolent. Pause, think about what is actually upsetting you about their behavior, and choose a different descriptor. You’ll be in solidarity with the disability community if you do.

Unfortunately there are a lot of really stupid people within our society. Having a low IQ is not a choice, but taking someone with a low IQ and giving them power in the name of fairness is. This is why I love capitalism so much. It is the fair and efficient distribution of resources based on market-based resource allocation. Capitalism is the ultimate mechanism by which intelligence and merit are rewarded, and stupidity and ignorance are punished. I am very glad that doctors are wealthy and janitors poor, any other wealth allocation system would just be unjust. Ironically and magically, a janitor, though, can become wealthy himself if he subscribes to the magic and idealism of capitalism. If a man or woman decides to become a janitor, they can still obtain great wealth through intelligence and a commitment to capitalism. The government goes to great lengths to offer incentives and programs to encourage wealth building through saving and registered plans that give financial incentives in various forms, usually tax credits and benefits, which encourages saving and wealth-building. An intelligent man can choose to become a janitor, but in a fair system, a dumb man cannot become a doctor. Capitalism is all about choice and the freedom to choose. The awful and destructive ideology known as communism is the exact opposite. It is a framework in which choice is stripped and dictation is implemented from the top down. Can you imagine living in a society where you are told what you are going to be for the rest of your life?

This is exactly the destruction that caused many hundreds of millions of unnecessary losses of human life this past century. Anyone who purports to be a communist today is rebelling against the bravery and sacrifice of those that fought to liberate humanity from tyranny. I believe that communists should not necessarily have the freedom to openly distribute their ideologies to young people. It is a terrible system that causes great damage, in both psychological terms and real terms.

Yes, calling someone stupid or dumb is rude, but it is not phobic. It is labeling, which is exactly what people do in order to be fair. Without labels, there would be no doctors, no janitors, no teachers, no politicians, no scientists. Let's not use the term ableist either, as that is a destructive term that unfairly deprecates those who work hard and those who have talent. I am very proud that I am able, and always will be. If someone seeks to gain political attention by calling me out on my gifts and abilities, I will simply ignore them and give a sad nod of recognition to the gradual descent of our society into barbarianism.

Unfortunately there are a lot of really stupid people within our society. Having a low IQ is not a choice, but taking someone with a low IQ and giving them power in the name of fairness is. This is why I love capitalism so much. It is the fair and efficient distribution of resources based on market-based resource allocation. Capitalism is the ultimate mechanism by which intelligence and merit are rewarded, and stupidity and ignorance are punished. I am very glad that doctors are wealthy and janitors poor, any other wealth allocation system would just be unjust. Ironically and magically, a janitor, though, can become wealthy himself if he subscribes to the magic and idealism of capitalism. If a man or woman decides to become a janitor, they can still obtain great wealth through intelligence and a commitment to capitalism. The government goes to great lengths to offer incentives and programs to encourage wealth building through saving and registered plans that give financial incentives in various forms, usually tax credits and benefits, which encourages saving and wealth-building. An intelligent man can choose to become a janitor, but in a fair system, a dumb man cannot become a doctor. Capitalism is all about choice and the freedom to choose. The awful and destructive ideology known as communism is the exact opposite. It is a framework in which choice is stripped and dictation is implemented from the top down. Can you imagine living in a society where you are told what you are going to be for the rest of your life?

This is exactly the destruction that caused many hundreds of millions of unnecessary losses of human life this past century. Anyone who purports to be a communist today is rebelling against the bravery and sacrifice of those that fought to liberate humanity from tyranny. I believe that communists should not necessarily have the freedom to openly distribute their ideologies to young people. It is a terrible system that causes great damage, in both psychological terms and real terms.

Yes, calling someone stupid or dumb is rude, but it is not phobic. It is labeling, which is exactly what people do in order to be fair. Without labels, there would be no doctors, no janitors, no teachers, no politicians, no scientists. Let's not use the term ableist either, as that is a destructive term that unfairly deprecates those who work hard and those who have talent. I am very proud that I am able, and always will be. If someone seeks to gain political attention by calling me out on my gifts and abilities, I will simply ignore them and give a sad nod of recognition to the gradual descent of our society into barbarianism.
Unfortunately slurs like that are rooted in ableism and as of 2023 it isn't appropriate.

I was gonna let this slide but I'm in a playful mood so I will destroy you.

Why would you say being "ableist" is bad? Should we not be proud of our talents and gifts? Maybe I should bend over backwards to help the down-trodden, depressed, and self-loathing haters like yourself. Rather than apologize for being successful and able, I am going to continue my progress and do something good for humanity. Being politically correct is very far down my list of priorities. So as you enjoy your time in your mom's basement and feel sad about the world, I am going to lift myself up and others and enjoy the good times. It is the folly of the young and sad to feel loathing for their upbringing on their paternal side. Get over it and fucking do something.

No one needs you to say what is appropriate and what is not. Do you think anyone cares what you think? I would love to see you summon what little brain cells you have left in your head and perhaps give an actual position and statement instead of a weed-induced one sentence piece of bullshit. But are you capable of argument? Of course not. "Sloppyfart,", you are not very bright. So go and take another couple of tokes and take solace in the fact that life will be continue to be unfair to you until you get off your fucking ass and do something good. Peace.

I was gonna let this slide but I'm in a playful mood so I will destroy you.

Why would you say being "ableist" is bad? Should we not be proud of our talents and gifts? Maybe I should bend over backwards to help the down-trodden, depressed, and self-loathing haters like yourself. Rather than apologize for being successful and able, I am going to continue my progress and do something good for humanity. Being politically correct is very far down my list of priorities. So as you enjoy your time in your mom's basement and feel sad about the world, I am going to lift myself up and others and enjoy the good times. It is the folly of the young and sad to feel loathing for their upbringing on their paternal side. Get over it and fucking do something.

No one needs you to say what is appropriate and what is not. Do you think anyone cares what you think? I would love to see you summon what little brain cells you have left in your head and perhaps give an actual position and statement instead of a weed-induced one sentence piece of bullshit. But are you capable of argument? Of course not. "Sloppyfart,", you are not very bright. So go and take another couple of tokes and take solace in the fact that life will be continue to be unfair to you until you get off your fucking ass and do something good. Peace.
So you admit you are a a hateful bigot? Who else do you hate? Being ableist is the same as being fat phobic sexist and racist not to mention it correlates with homophobia and transphobia, so i have to assume you are those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.